When we go camping, or backpacking, the kids get to pick a special treat and so does my husband. They each have their favorites: New York Mints, gummy bears, Werthers caramels and Twizzlers. We try to not have candy in our house, unless it is a special occasion, so camping has become a special occasion. I also have two sisters that travel a lot and currently live in China and Israel. When they visit once a year, they like to bring the kids yummy snacks and sweets to try and it reminds me of when my friends in high school would come back from South Africa and Poland and bring the most delicious chocolates. My kids love trying new foods and new things.
That is why I really like Universal Yums. It gives my kids a good excuse to have a sweet, but it also gives them an opportunity to learn about the country that the treat came from. I can get out the globe and we can where in the world the snack was made. We had the opportunity to try the Halloween box that Universal Yums has this year. I am not objective when it comes to tasting anything because I am the least pickiest eater on the planet. So I enlisted my coworkers and my family to try these sweets and they all happily volunteered. **Please note, this box was sent to me free of charge. All opinions are my own and I do not review items that I don’t love.
This special addition box contains 300 pieces of candy. With our testing, we didn’t even make a dent, so the rest will be saved for our annual family harvest party next week. I was so excited when I got it, and had fun trying all six flavors:
- Milky Splash Toffee from Ukraine- Creamy toffee with a milky center *this was a favorite at my work
- Sorini Choco Boom from Italy- Chocolate bon bon with strawberry pop rocks *my children loved this one the best
- Tottis Serenata from Greece- Chocolaty wafer goodness *apparently the wafer was originally from Greece
- Heartbeat Pineapple from Thailand- Pineapple hard candy with salt *strangely delicious, apparently in Thailand they serve pineapple with a packet of salt for a reason, because it is good!
- Toffers El Casario from Spain – Orange chocolate toffee *my favorite out of all of them
- Oka Loka Caramelo Revolcan from Columbia- Grape chews with super sour powder *like Zots if anyone remembers those, and it was very entertaining watching everyone pucker up
This box had something for everyone. Not everyone has the same tastes, so what I think is yummy may not be tasty to someone else. But because there was such a variety, everyone got to eat something fun and enjoy the experience. Plus, it’s not every day that you get 300 pieces of candy in the mail! My family and I really enjoyed the box, and had fun learning about new places by looking them up on the google and finding them on the globe.
This holiday box was awesome, but it was a special edition. Universal Yums is a monthly subscription box with snacks and candy from a different country each month, starting as low as $13.75 per month. There are three different options: 6+ snacks in every box, 12+ snacks in every box or 20+ snacks in every box. Each box comes with a booklet with fun facts about your snacks and candy and there are even more fun facts, activities and recipes in the larger boxes. You do not have to purchase a whole year ahead of time. There are options for monthly, quarterly, semi-annually and annually.
Ways for you, or others to enjoy this box:
- Monthly family dinner or date night- plan an evening around your monthly box. Use the box as a theme and make a food or watch a movie from that country.
- Send as a gift or care package to someone who is adventurous or loves to travel
- Use it as a tool for homeschooling to teach your child about a particular country
- Special occasions like holidays and birthday
The regular October box is from Austria! I can only imagine the yumminess in that box. Some of the previous countries featured were:
- January 2019- Germany
- February 2019- Italy
- April 2019- Israel (looking at what they sent out, there were some of my favorite Israeli snacks like Bisli and Egozi)
- July 2019- Indonesia
- August 2019- Turkey
Universal Yums made this a very unique food experience, and it was nice being able to share it with so many people. I liked this box very much, and i am considering getting the Christmas box for either the Christmas party at work, or our annual New Year’s party at home. I might do the smaller box monthly, just as a treat for family night, but also because it really made my kids excited to learn about new countries and make them want to travel. I might even do this only during the summer months for a special camping treat. If you are adventurous, what country would you like to try goodies from? Try a little piece of the world from your own home. And remember, be outside with no limits, or in this case, try a new food experience with no limits.